Located in the northeast corner of New London County, Voluntown is a rural community consisting of 39.8 square miles with two-thirds of the town made up of state forest. Pachaug State Forest offers many outdoor activities; such as hunting, camping, hiking and horseback riding. The town hall and library are located in the Village Center, along with the PreK-8 school, Constitution Field, the walking track, and gazebo. Voluntown was Incorporated in 1721 and has a rich history of textile mills, historic buildings, the Civilian Conservation Corps. (CCC Camp), folklore and was originally known as “Volunteer Town”.
THE WETLANDS MEETING THAT WAS SCHEDULED FOR TONIGHT AT 7:30 P.M. HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO THE STORM. THE MEETING HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR MARCH 12, 2015 AT 7:30 P.M.
DUE TO THE STORM TODAY, THE ASSESSOR’S OFFICE AND THE TAX COLLECTOR’S OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED. THE ASSESSOR’S OFFICE WILL BE OPEN ON FRIDAY AT THE REGULAR TIME AND THE TAX COLLECTOR’S OFFICE WILL BE OPEN ON MONDAY AT THE REGULAR TIME.
The Board of Selectmen’s Meeting scheduled for tomorrow, February 24 at 7pm, will immediately follow the Town Meeting and will be held at the Voluntown Elementary School in the gymnasium. Please take note of the change of location for the Board of Selectmen’s meeting.
Town of Voluntown Notice of Special Town Meeting
The Electors and Citizens qualified to vote in Town Meetings of the Town of Voluntown are hereby warned that a Special Town Meeting will be held at the Voluntown Elementary School gymnasium, at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 to consider and act on the following items:
1. That the Town of Voluntown appropriate the sum of $1,104,304 from the capital non-recurring account and the undesignated fund balance for the Voluntown Elementary School Roof Replacement Project for the design, construction, installation and overall cost of the project. The appropriation may be spent on the design and construction costs, including removal of materials, architect fees, schematic drawings and specifications, engineering fees, equipment, materials, and any other expenses related to the project.
2. To authorize the Board of Education to submit an ED049 Form to the School Facilities Unit of the State Department of Education (SDE) for their review and approval to secure State reimbursement of the eligible costs of the roofing project to be completed during the summer of 2015.
3. To authorize the Voluntown Board of Education or the School Building Committee and any other officials of the Town as needed to apply to the Commissioner of Education and accept grant funding for the project.
4. To authorize the Board of Selectmen, the Town Treasurer and other proper officials of the Town to take all other action which is necessary or desirable to complete the project and if necessary, to obtain short term funding in anticipation of the receipt grants for the project, not to exceed $1,104,304.
5. That the School Building Committee for the project is vested with the following powers and duties: to approve design and construction expenditures for the project, to recommend to the First Selectman the execution of any contracts with architects, engineers, contractors, and others, in the name and on behalf of the Town to complete the project, and to exercise such other powers as are necessary or appropriate to complete the project. Upon completion of the project, the Building Committee shall make a complete report and accounting to the Board of Selectmen, the Treasurer, and the Board of Education.
Robert A. Sirpenski First Selectman
Tracey L. Hanson Selectman
Ronald J. Millovitsch Selectman
Due to the very cold temperatures, the Voluntown Firehouse will be open as a warming station tonight (2/13), Saturday (2/14), and Sunday (2/15).
The Voluntown Youth Service Bureau has several programs coming up:
High School Recreational Basketball Games
Open to Voluntown residents in grades 9 -12
Wednesday nights from 6:00 – 7:30pm
Wednesday’s, February 18, 25, March 4, 11, 18, 25, April 1, & April 8, 2015
Great After School Program (GRASP)
Open to Voluntown residents that fit age/grade requirement.
Meets on Mondays from 3:20-4:30pm
Mondays, February 23, March 9, 16 and 23rd
Transportation will not be provided.
Club Name: Sports and Games
Instructor: Mr. Musser
Grades: 1- 3
Fee: $8 for all sessions
Club Description: Participants will play a variety of sports and games such as basketball, sharks and minnows, kickball, and much more!
Club Name: Chess
Instructor: Mr. Ward
Grades: 6 – 8
Fee: $8 for all sessions
Club Description: Participants will have the opportunity to play chess with their classmates. Mr. Ward will be available to assist students if needed.
Saturday, March 7, 2015
Games begin at 9AM (double-elimination)
League A: High School students & Adults
League B: Students in grades 5-8
Teams consist of 6 players
Registration fee: $10 per player ($60 per team)
Make checks payable to: Town of Voluntown
Visit the Voluntown Youth Service Bureau webpage for more info.
The Board of Assessment Appeals will meet on March 3, 2015 @ 6:00 P.M., to hear Real Estate Grievances. In order to be heard at a scheduled appointment, a form must be filled out and filed with the Assessor’s Office. All forms must be filed no later than February 20, 2015. If you have any questions, you can contact the Assessor’s Office @ 860-376-3927.
The Voluntown Recreation Commission has several free programs to offer residents this January.
Adult Volleyball For Voluntown residents ages 18 and up. Meets in the Voluntown Elementary School gymnasium from 7-8:30PM on the following Tuesday evenings: Jan 20, 27, Feb 3, 17, 24, and March 3. No pre-registration is required. If enough people show up, there will be 2 games playing simultaneously- one noncompetitive and one competitive. There is no fee.
Saturday Basketball Program for Kids Open to all Voluntown kids in grades 1-8. This program starts on Saturday, January 17, and ends on February 28th. There are no attendance requirements. For grades 1-4, the program is designed to be a noncompetitive way to introduce young children to the sport of basketball. For grades 5-8, kids will be split up into teams and play a game every week. There is no fee involved, but your child is recommended to bring his/her own basketball, a youth size 27.5, if possible. The following is the timetable for each grade:
9-10AM Grades 1+2
10-11AM Grades 3+4 GIRLS*
11AM-12PM Grades 3+4 BOYS*
12PM-2PM Grades 5-8
**Please note the changes in the schedule. Grades 3+4 have been split into 2 sessions, and Grades 5-8 have been bumped an hour.