Animal Services

NECCOG Regional Animal Services Program

Telephone Number  860-774-1253


Visit the NECCOG Instagram page for info on lost and found animals.

UPDATE 4/8/24: We’re thrilled to announce the launch of the new NECCOG Animal Control website! This user-friendly website is designed to be a comprehensive resource for all your animal-related needs.

Visit the new NECCOG Animal Control website:

Here’s what you can find on the new website:

  • Resources on pet safety, quarantining , bites
  • Adoption information for animals in need of loving homes
  • Contact details for NECCOG Animal Control services
  • Missing animals, and much more!

The NECCOG Animal Services Program is a service of the Northeastern Connecticut Council of Governments. Visit the NECCOG Animal Services website for information on how to report complaints on domestic animals, animal bites, rabies, animal cruelty, licensing enforcement, surrendering of animals.

Please remember to report animal bites, and threatening animals. Action cannot be taken if reports are not made.

NECCOG Animal Services are available after hours and weekends on an emergency basis only. The following are classified as an emergency:
1) Domestic Animals hit by Vehicles and Still Alive
2) People bitten by domestic animals and wildlife
3) Domestic Animals bitten by Wildlife on other domestic animals
4) If you have captured a stray dog
5) Stray Domestic Animals showing signs of illness.

PLEASE NOTE: NECCOG does not deal with wildlife unless it fits into one of the above categories. For wildlife problems, please call 860-424-3333. See below for more information on nuisance wildlife. 

Dog Licensing

  • Licensing is done at the Voluntown Town Hall Clerk’s office, download application here.
  • Licenses required for all dogs six months of age or over.
  • Rabies inoculation certificate is required.
  • State-imposed $60.00 penalty for unlicensed dogs.
  • All dogs are licensed yearly during the month of June.
  • FEES: $8.00 spayed/neutered dogs – $19.00 male or female dogs – $51.00 kennel license. $1.00 per month late fee applied after July 1st.

Nuisance Wildlife

There have been several calls to Town Hall from residents asking about suspicious acting wildlife. We have inquired with the DEEP EnConn office, the DEEP Wildlife Division, NECCOG Animal Control, and the health department as to what to inform residents to do. Here is the general consensus:


  1. Just because a wild animal is acting in a way that we don’t think is normal, it does not mean that it has rabies. There are other reason it could be acting that way like poisoning, or it could have another illness, like distemper.
  2.  A suspicious acting wild animal is not seen as a threat unless it has bitten or scratched a human, or has bitten or scratched a pet or livestock.
  3. Make sure that all of your pets and livestock are up to date on all vaccines.
  4. Stay away from suspicious acting wild animals and teach your kids to do so also.
  5. If a human is exposed to a suspected rabid animal, you should thoroughly wash wounds and immediately contact their doctor. Follow the doctor’s instructions or seek emergency medical treatment.
  6. If a pet or livestock is exposed to a possible rabid animal, you should report to your veterinarian and to NECCOG Animal Services, 860-774-1253.
  7. If you suspect that a wild animal is a rabies carrier, you may contact the following agencies below in the order listed. Our Animal Services, NECCOG, does not respond to wild animal calls as they are not trained in this area. Again, it is a typical answer that the state police and DEEP won’t respond unless the wild animal poses an immediate threat to humans, pets, or livestock.
    1. State Police, Troop E, Montville (860) 848-6500
    2. DEEP Emergency Dispatch (860) 424-3333
    3. Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator (see the list here). An NWCO conducts private business which includes a fee that can range from $100-$500+.
  8. This information and more can be found in the CT DEEP Bureau of Natural Resources Wildlife Division Information for Connecticut’s Home & Business Owners: Nuisance Wildlife Control Program, Rabies & Client Notification flyer.

Feral Cat Policy

NECCOG does not impound cats unless they are sick, injured or under quarantine observation. If you are having an issue with feral cats, please contact the first selectman. If the issue is a problem, the first selectman will contact NECCOG and they can work together to resolve the issue through the Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) program

Animal Service Fact Sheet

Received 2/15/18