Pistol Permits

Applying for a Temporary Pistol Permit

Pistol permits are applied for in the town in which you reside. In Voluntown, pistol permit applications are done through the Selectmen’s Office.  Please call Julie at 860-376-5880 for more information.

At the time of application, applicants must be 21 years of age and present the following

For a printable version of these directions, click here.

1. Completed Temporary Pistol Permit Application – Notarized

Applicants must complete and submit the Temporary Pistol Permit Application (DPS-799-C).  Applications can be printed here or obtained in the First Selectman’s Office at Town Hall. A Notary is available at Town Hall.

2. Fingerprint Card

Digital or ink (digital is highly suggested) from any State Police barracks. (State police websites for days/times fingerprinting is done). Fingerprints are checked with Connecticut State Police records and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

3. NRA Firearms Safety and Use Course Certificate

Complete your NRA Firearms Safety and use course. A Completion Certificate will be needed to apply for your temporary permit.

What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA’s “Basic Pistol Course,” prior to submitting the application. The NRA’s “Home Firearms Safety Course” and “First Steps Pistol Orientation Program” are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required.  Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable.  Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver.   Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

4. Provide Proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States:

Applicants must provide a certified birth certificate, OR a CURRENT U.S. Passport. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency.  Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.

5. Photo ID – CT Driver’s license – proof as a Voluntown resident.


  •     $13.25  CHECK OR MONEY ORDER payable to the “Treasurer – State of Connecticut”
  •     $75.00  CHECK OR MONEY ORDER payable to the “Treasurer – State of Connecticut”
  •     $70.00  CHECK OR MONEY ORDER “payable to the Town of Voluntown”

The Town will send your information and checks to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP). Processing of applications and fingerprints through the Connecticut State Police and FBI takes approximately 6-8 weeks. When the Town receives a Criminal History Record Report from the DESPP, you will be notified of the APPROVAL or REJECTION of your Temporary Pistol Permit by the Town of Voluntown. This Temporary Permit is effective for 60 days.

Within 60 days, you must apply to the DESPP for the State Permit. For information on what to bring when applying for the State Permit, click here.

Department  of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) Headquarters
1111 Country Club Road
PO Box 2794
Middletown, CT 06457

Troop E Montville

Troop D Danielson

If you have any questions please contact the Selecmen’s Office at 860-376-5880.