Get Involved in Town Government


This is a municipal election year.  We are starting a series of articles that will explain a little about the election process, and provide information on the municipal offices that are up for election or appointment this year. 

Spotlight on the Zoning Board of Appeals

Posted on April 8, 2019

The Zoning Board of Appeals currently meets on the 1st Monday of the month at 7:00 PM when there is an agenda. Appeals may be taken to the Zoning Board of Appeals when it is alleged that there is an error in any order, requirement, or decision made by the Zoning Enforcement Officer or the Planning and Zoning Commission, or when a variance is sought from the provisions of the Zoning Regulations. A variance may be permitted if the Board finds that an unusual hardship because of conditions especially affecting a parcel of land, but not affecting generally the district in which it is located.


The Zoning Board of Appeals was created in accordance with Title 8, Chapter 124, Section 8-5 of the Connecticut General Statutes. The responsibility of the Board is to hear and decide appeals where it is alleged that there is an error in any order, requirement, or decision made by the official charged with the enforcement of chapter 124 or any bylaw, ordinance or regulation adopted under the provisions of this chapter and to hear and decide all matters including special exceptions and special exemptions under section 8-2g upon which it is required to pass by the specific terms of the zoning bylaws, ordinance or regulations in harmony with their general purpose and intent and property values solely with respect to a particular parcel of land.

Currently Serving

Wendy K. Gauthier- Chairman
Edward W. Grenier
* Arthur Ivanic
* Karen Anderson
* Vacancy
* Alternate- Cheryl Sadowski
* Alternate- James Gauthier
* Alternate- Vacancy

The * indicates the terms that end this November and positions that will appear on the ballot.

Election Information

This year three (3) full member candidates and three (3) alternate member candidates will be elected to the Zoning Board of Appeals on November 5, 2019. At the Democratic and Republican Caucuses to be held the week of July 16- July 23, 2019, each party is allowed to endorse three (3) full and three (3) alternate candidates. All six (6) full and all six (6) candidates will appear on the ballot, along with any resident that chooses to petition to be added to the ballot. For more information on petitioning, please contact the Town Clerk.